as usual I’ve left it a while to update here but much been going on…I spent the 3 month lead up to Xmas playing drum kit with some fabulous jazz musicians including TJ Johnson and Paul Eldridge.
At the same time my job as Music Co-Ordinator at my Primary School chuffed along with a fabulous Xmas concert involving all classes and around 500 parents watching (!) at Stoke Newington School opposite.
The last term at school culminated in another great Easter concert with KS2 classes performing a Motown Tribute and my KS1 choir – “Big Ideas” singing “Crazy Crazy Nights” by Kiss and “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor – with their faces painted as tigers! The staff band (called “Surviving”) supported. It was priceless..
This term we prepare for our own 1-day festival and the Y6 end of year show…
Outside of school I continue working with guitarist Johnny Thompson on our jazz duo set of guitar and piano – we’re called G&T and hope to be gigging by summer…
I have recently returned from Calais where I ran music/English workshops in The Jungle camp for refugees playing accordion.
I am currently putting a new band together which I hope up and gigging by June, more info to follow.
If anyone is a DJ or knows one that wants a percussionist with full rig to compliment their set do get in touch as this something I’d like to return to.
I’m also now free on Thursdays specifically for any music-related opportunities so do let me know what you’ve got!
I’ll endeavour to post more often but do also like my FB page and Tweets as shown on this site.
Hi all! I’ve had a fab 6 weeks off school catching up with friends and doing lots of playing.
I also got to record a jazz track playing piano with 2 fab jazzers on kit and bass.
Have a listen here – (It’ll open in a new tab)
Cheek to Cheek!
I also did a fab gig playing jazz drums with the great Phil Cornwell on piano,,
see us on YouTube here – (It’ll open in a new tab)
Barney Musician Jazz Trio at Elmore Supper Club
I’m going to be doing a lot more jazz over the next few months working with my good pal and guitarist
Johnny Thompson as the dynamic guitar and piano duo of G&T. I’ll also be playing jazz piano with top tenor
Colin Judson – Colin Judson doing smooth swing.
I’ve also just played accordion tonight for a Corporate Gig in a pop up Flower Market working amazing friend and fellow musician Alison Blunt. Check out the view from the venue!
Follow me on Twitter at @barneymusician and LIKE my BarneyMusician Facebook page that has a link here too!
Email me now at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an enquiry or booking!
How are we? Ok, so 2014 gone and it’s “ding ding! Next round!”…
This week I started at a brand new school Betty Layward with my own music department building! Lovely staff, great kids! This my sole school now and here Mondays, Wednesday’s, Friday’s. Instrumental concert at the end of this month!
Still doing my postgrad in Music Therapy and got my first term’s essays in (just!). Rewarding placement at The Garden working with teenage autistic boys and seeing results!
Get my own permanent studio in Mile End this month so that exciting for solo work and both bands. Both Council and The Medicine Show have strategy meetings this week and aiming to get videos done ASAP. Gigs pending.
Do check my “Performance Options Available Page” to see what I can offer.
En route to my weekly postgrad in music therapy. Little sleep after a late finish gig at The Phoenix bar in town last night. Amazingly mild November day.
Already 2 weeks in to running my own seasons with Autistic children at a specialist school near me.
My 2 Primary schools busy as preparing their Christmas concerts.
My band Council gigging at The Shacklewell Arms soon on 28 Nov.
Other band The Medicine Show moving in to our own studio soon to work on album and gig set. Our next gig at The Constitution on December 12.
I continue my work at The Carers Centre and raised £2k for my Men’s Group in the last few months to run more IT courses for them.
Are you a DJ or Band? Do you need a PA and lights for your event? Do you need a band/pianist? Get in touch.
A brief update for August 14…I’ve had a fantastic summer visiting friends and family from Cornwall to Edinburgh. I start back teaching music at 3 Primary Schools next week, also beginning my postgrad in Music Therapy whilst continuing to play drum kit and piano with bands.
This weekend I am attending a Guys and Dolls Musical Course in Chichester to improve my singing (and it turns out possibly my dancing too!). This will help when playing songs with the children at school and also my harmonizing backing vocals with the bands.
I’ve some diary dates too –
On Wednesday September 3rd my band Council play at famous venue The Water Rats in Kings Cross – details here – https://www.facebook.com/events/1532114860351449/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
On the Friday 5th The Medicine Show rock The Monarch, details here – https://www.facebook.com/events/338247676330138/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
our website featuring tracks from our album now available on iTunes here – http://www.themedicineshow.net/
Amd on Sunday September 7th from 1pm I’m running another Bongo Barney’s Bandstand Barnstormer at Victoria Park Bandstand, London E9 with my band The Medicine Show and other performers. The last of these attracted over 300 people enjoying picnics and hanging out whilst listening to and viewing the live music on the bandstand. Click the link for more info… https://www.facebook.com/events/690104757746364/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
I’ve also added some new YouTube clips of me on piano, solo and with singer Ella May Stainer so check those out too. I’ll be adding more soon of me on drum kit and accordion too 🙂
Plans are afoot for Barnstormer 2015, my bi-annual festival – all details on my website at http://www.barnstormer.me so do check it out.
Also, don’t forget to look at Performance Options Available here on this website too 🙂
Do click “follow” here to get email updates for my occasional website updates, follow me on Facebook and Twitter too.
Hope to see you at a gig or event 🙂
School’s is out! No time for resting though as many lovely music projects to be getting on with…here’s the updates!..
1. The big news is that I have been accepted on to a post-grad course in Music Therapy! This starts in September with organisation Sounds of Intent. I will be working with Professor Adam Ockelford – you can view him giving a TED talk
I’ll be updating on how this is going as I go, here and on my barneymusician page…I have a placement lined up locally which is great…
2. I’m running my first summer RocksCool from 18th – 22nd August for 9-12 year-old children – do you have any? Get them along for a week of trying different instruments, learning the principles of being in a rock band, rehearsal and performance technique and a final gig on the Friday for friends and family! Budding rockstars each get a backstage pass which gets them a discounted lunch and 10% off in the fab Moka East Cafe, part of the complex that is the ViewTube, the great venue for RocksCool that overlooks the Olympic Stadium and Park. Contact me at email@example.com to get your child a place or visit the website at http://www.rockscool.wordpress.com
3. I have THREE EPs out this year!!! Do please have a listen to each on Soundcloud and feel free to comment and like (if you do!).
4. I am on contract from September 14 teaching music in 3 Primary Schools on Mondays. Wednesdays and Fridays, doing my Music Therapy postgrad on Thursdays up in Oxford leaving me Tuesdays to get on with all the other bits and pieces I need to (I still run a group for Male Carers in Hackney supporting guys that meet monthly to talk about how their month has been caring for their partner, parent, son or daughter. I’m taking them on a boat trip in August and working to secure funding for the group to pay for more of the IT courses I have so far run for them as getting them tuned up on IT means they can communicate with friends and family via the internet reducing their isolation)
5. Barnstormer 2015 – I intend to run Barnstormer – my festival – again next year. Last year was such a success and although I had to make the decision to make it bi-annual it means every other year can be planned more effectively. Do visit the website at http://barnstormer.me and sign up to the Twitter Feed/Like the Facebook Page from there.
6. In other news, I continue to work towards getting my own home and adopting as a single parent hoping that being on contract next year will make it slightly less difficult to get a mortgage for a flat or houseboat. I’m open to any suggestions as to how on earth one can get a 2-bedroom home in London without winning the lottery, many seem to manage it but still a challenge beyond my capabilities it seems! I’ll get there…