An experienced Music Teacher and Workshop Leader interested in any opportunities to utilise my skills with Music Education Projects, provide instrumental tuition or collaborate on music-based schemes needing facilitation. My principal occupation outside of music for more than 10 years has been working in the area of social services including management positions with Connexions and Crisis and this has provided me with a wealth of experience that transfers to my music work.
I play keyboards, percussion and accordion principally. I gig and record regularly and have performed at many events and venues from Ronnie Scotts to Glastonbury to Wembley Stadium. I compose music for Television and Film and have had international success in this area having written for campaigns by Saatchi & Saatchi amongst others (show-reel available). I work with bands Soul Filling, Ember, Council, The Medicine Show and Buenos Bastardes and am able to provide a wide range of music for events. I play accordion for my project Barney’s Barn Dance.
Music Teacher and Workshop Leader
I have taught music for 25 years. I have run music workshops in schools and community centres around the country, specialising in composition, band work and performance. I teach piano and percussion privately. I have a wealth of experience specialising in work with vulnerable groups of people having worked with those with mental health issues, learning difficulties, substance-misuse, ex-offenders, homeless, the elderly and long-term unemployed.
• Piano and Drum-Kit Teacher giving Private Lessons to individuals locally.
• Current – Music Teacher – Grazebrook Primary School, Hackney.
• Current – Music Teacher – Shacklewell Primary School, Hackney.
Sessional Music Teacher – Workshop Leader/Peripatetic Tutor in Music.
• Sept 2002 – Aug 2003. Brooke House 6th Form College, Kenninghall Rd, London E5 8BP
Head of Music – Teaching AS Level Music (AQA) (100% pass rate), BTEC National Awards in Music for Media, Event Promotion, Djing (EdExcel), GNVQ Media (EdExcel), BTEC National Diploma & Certificate in Performing Arts (EdExcel), Running a Tutor Group.
• Music Teacher (P/T) September 1998 – July 2000. Millfields Primary School, Hilsea Street, London E5
Duties – Teaching Music to Years 4 – 6 and holding weekly full school assemblies.
• Music Teacher (P/T) September 1998 – July 2000 Morley College, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1
Duties – Teaching Music to adults, focussing on Percussion.
• Regular workshops in schools and colleges running projects in improvisation, composing, performance, drumming, percussion and general group-work. I have done Music Workshops for Creative Partnerships, Southern Arts, Hampshire County Council, Camden Council and Morley College amongst others.
1979 – 86 Holland Park School, Airlie Gardens, London
1979 – 86 Centre for Young Musicians, Pimlico, London
1987 – 90 Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
Degree Bachelor of Arts – Music
Grade 8 Piano (ABRSM), Grade 8 Percussion (Trinity)
2011 – First Aid At Work – St John’s Ambulance
2011 – Life Coaching For Clients – Stewart Lane Coaching
2010 – Mental Health Spotlight Training – Homeless Link
2010 – Inspirational Leadership Training – Crisis UK
2009 – Complex Needs and Challenging Behaviour – Crisis UK
2009 – Mental Health First Aid Training – MIND
2007 – MAPS Personality Profile Training – JCA
2005 – Personal Safety Training – Connexions/Suzy Lamplugh Trust
2005 – Introduction to Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Course
2005 – Equal Opportunities and Diversity – Connexions
I have a current enhanced CRB Disclosure Certificate. As a member of the Musician’s Union I have full Public Liability Insurance. I am a qualified first-aider. I have a full clean driving licence and am a Midas Qualified Driver.
- Full PA for live work for up to 500 guests
- Mobile Location Recording Equipment (16 track digital and MacBook Pro)
- Digital Weighted Portable Keyboard Workstation
- Drum Kit (acoustic and electronic)
- Full Percussion Rig (Congas, Bongos, African Drums, small percussion)
- Delivery to any venue
- Full Public Liability Insurance
References on Request